Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sewing with Leather


My experience sewing with leather has been minimal. I used a piece for the flap on my Gatherer Crossbody Bag, and then I added a small piece to my minimalist Scrap Leather mini quilt. That's it. So when I heard Krista Fleckenstein was coming to teach Sewing with Leather with the Seattle MQG, I signed right up.



I really liked the pouch I knew we would be making, and in addition to leading us through that process, Krista shared how to choose the right kind of leather and supplies for certain projects, as well as techniques for sewing with leather. The pouch Krista helped us make is actually in her book, Beyond Cotton, if you want to give it a try. She uses a new-to-me construction technique that worked really well!


Just fyi, the fabric I used for the exterior of my pouch was some hand screen printed Essex linen from sotakhandmade. I kinda love it! And I definitely want to make more of these pouches.

Just for fun, here's a photo of many of the pouches made during the class. Aren't they great?!

6 comments:

  1. the pouches are awesome! that looked like a really fun workshop. Also I keep eyeing up Svetlanas block printed fabrics. Maybe today is the day some lands in my shopping cart. Beautiful pouches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide whether I like the leather or the color of the zipper you chose better! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very stylish pouches - love the leather!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great pouches you made. What a fun class. I have some scraps of leather here, that I have carried with me from house to house. Maybe I will dig into it and see what I can come up with. I used to use leather a lot in my crafts. Don't know why I stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! Now I'm curious about how you made them, new techniques are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your use of Svetlana's screen printed fabric. I have been eyeing some of it myself! The group photo shows so much creativity in new spot! And the class looks like it was a great success!

    ReplyDelete